Failed to access IIS metabase
Resolution for error: “Failed to access IIS metabase” while browsing a web site from local host on XP machine with IIS 5.1 version
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
Follow following steps to resolve the issue -
1. Unregistered all the versions of ASP.NET with command "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –ua".
2. Deleted the ASPNET account from "Local Users and Group – Users".
3. Then registered ASP.NET 2.0 with IIS using "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –i".
4. Gave permissions to the ASPNET account using "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –ga machinename\ASPNET".
5. Reset the IIS and that resolved the issue for ASP.NET 2.0.
6. We registered ASP.NET 1.1 with IIS as well using command "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis –i".
7. Reset the IIS.
After following the above steps we configured virtual directory versions as required and test both ASP.NET 1.1 and ASP.NET 2.0 application.
Everything will work fine as expected.
This problem occurs because the process model user account (in our case, ASPNET) does not have the correct user rights for the required system files and folders to run the ASP.NET worker process.